New English word? Translate any word using double click.
Cual es la diferencia entre las palabras ‘work’ and ‘job’?
What’s the Difference between ‘Work’ and ‘Job’?
Pincha dos veces para traducir cualquier palabra.
- ‘Job’ is a noun, ‘Work’ is a verb:
‘What’s David’s job?’
‘He works in a shop.’
(‘To work’ also means ‘To function’: “My mobile isn’t working.”)
- ‘Work’ is also a noun. This is the problem:
“My work is very difficult = I’ve got a difficult job”
- So what’s the difference between ‘job’ (noun) and ‘work’ (noun)?
JOB is what you are – it’s your profession. (I’m a fireman)
WORK is what you do (I put out fires, and rescue cats in trees)
Sometimes you have a lot of WORK, but you only have one JOB.
WORK is uncountable: “Is there much work? I’m looking for (some) work…”
(If you use WORK as a countable noun it means ‘Obra’: Roadworks, Works of Art….)
JOB is countable: “I’m looking for a job. There aren’t many jobs in this company…”
- ..but there are other things you have to know:
WORK is sometimes your place of work: “I’m going to work.” “I’m leaving work”. In the same way, you start work at 9 o’clock and finish work at half past five.
JOB is similar to ‘a project’ or ‘things I have to do’:
“I’m busy this Saturday. I’ve got some jobs to do at home; painting, cutting the grass…”
- If you want to ask somebody, you can say:
‘What do you do (for a living)?’
‘What’s your job?’
‘Where do you work?’
‘What company/Who do you work for?’
- Ready? Try these questions:
Choose ‘WORK’ ‘JOB’ or ‘JOBS’ for each sentence:
- What’s your ______?
- I can’t stop! I’m late for _______!
- I love my ______ even though I complain sometimes.
- When I came back from holidays there was so much ______ to do I regretted going!
- Have you found any _______?
- Have you found a _______ yet?
- I was going to watch the match with my mates when my wife reminded me I had a _____ to do.
- You don’t have to include all your ______ in a CV if they’re not related.
Some Notes, and then the answers:
- ‘Good job’ has two meanings
My son has a very good job.
Good job we left early- there’s so much traffic! (= Menos Mal)
HOMEWORK is the exercises your teachers give you. HOUSEWORK are the things you have to do at home (cooking, cleaning, washing clothes….). They are uncountable (Not: ‘