New English word? Translate any word using double click.
Guess Who (or What)?
Practise your comprehension of tenses, and of the passive, by guessing who (or what) the 5 clues are talking about…
A: Who is it?
1. She has been referred to as ‘The Decider’.
2. She has a doctorate as a physical chemist.
3. She was born in a state that no longer exists.
4. In 2014 she was named the most powerful woman in the world.
5. She has governed her country since 2005.
B: Who is it?
1. He could have been a football player.
2. He has been a professional sportsman since 2001.
3. He is 6ft 1in (1 metre 85cm) tall.
4. He is one of the best of all time in his sport.
5. His uncle used to play for Spain and Barcelona FC.
C: Who is it?
1. He was born in the last year of World War I.
2. He studied Law and became a Communist.
3. He married 3 times and had 6 children.
4. He was sent to prison for 27 years.
5. He won the Nobel Prize and died when he was 95.
D: Who is it?
1. He was born in 1986.
2. He is 6ft 5in (196cm) tall and weighs 94kg!
3. He has won 6 Olympic gold medals.
4. He has been voted Athlete of the year many times.
5. He is said to be the fastest man on the planet.
E: What is it?
1. It is something that cannot usually be seen on the Earth.
2. It will be seen in 2061.
3. It has been observed since 240BC, at least.
4. It was last spotted in 1986.
5. It is seen every 75 or 76 years.
F: Who is it?
1. He was born 1936 in South America.
2. He worked in a nightclub.
3. He went to Italy to live in 2013.
4. He has changed his name.
5. He is admired by many people.
G: Who is it?
1. He was born in 1938, en Rome.
2. He went to live in Spain in 1948.
3. His grandfather had been Head of State.
4. It is said that his brother was (accidentally) killed by him.
5. He does not have the same importance as he used to.
H: Who is it?
1. She is one of the most famous people in the world.
2. She has some Lebanese origin.
3. She was the first person to have 100 million Facebook followers.
4. She lives mainly in South America and Spain (Barcelona). 5. She has two children with a famous footballer.
I: Who is it?
1. He was born in the UK in 1989, but he isn’t English.
2. In 2013 he won three prizes as Player of the Year.
3. Someday he might be the world’s best footballer.
4. He was bought by a foreign club.
5. He was white, and has stayed white.
J: What is it?
1. This is not a person, but an animal.
2. It can be seen in the jungle, if you’re lucky.
3. They are hunted for their fur.
4. It has given its name to a make of car.
5. It’s the third biggest cat, after the tiger and the lion.
K: Who is it?
1. She was born in Asia, at the end of World War II
2. Her father helped to found a nation, and was murdered the same year.
3. She married and lived in England, but returned to her country in 1988.
4. She won elections in 1990, but was arrested by the army.
5. She won the Nobel Prize in 1991.
L: What is it?
1. This is not a living thing, but nor is it dead.
2. It has changed our everyday life .
3. It is used by 1,200 million people.
4. It was set up in 2004.
5. Lost friends can be found by this.
M: Who is it?
1. She was born in an anonymous middle-class family.
2. She has been put under the spotlight since 2004.
3. Her predecessor died.
4. She has a worldwide effect on fashion.
5. Her in-laws are even more famous than she is.
Remember to think of someone (or something) famous, and write five clues in the comments box below. Leave the easiest clues until last!